Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Holy Grail!!!

Well yesterday I saw something I thought I would never see in my life...the Holy Grail. It was so exciting. I was one of the ones who jumped on the bandwagon and read the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. It was a brilliantly written book and I rather enjoyed it, but I never in a million years thought that I would be able to actually see it. When we went in to the cathedral I just wanted to skip everything else and go straight to the Grail, but my friends wouldn’t let me. I´m glad they made me stick around and take a gander. I saw so many other interesting things like a Painting by Goya that had St. Francis in which he is performing an exorcism. The man lay dying in the bed refusing to repent his sins. Behind the man there are two demons lurking at his side waiting to take him. As morbid as it may sound this by far has been my favorite painting I have seen while in Spain.


The Valencia Cathedral held many chapels inside. There was one chapel in particular that I found extraordinary that would be the chapel in which St. Vincent the Martyr’s intact arm lies in a glass box. While listening to the audio tour I was looking at this arm in the box trying to figure out why they would just randomly put it there. Well to my astonishment it is the actual arm of St. Vincent, and it is in fact still intact.


Overall I would have to say that my time in Valencia was well spent. I’m am so glad that I had the chance to see such art and history all once.

No comments: